The Annieville Cannery: active from 1870 to the c.1940s.
Located on the Fraser River, across from New Westminster, Annieville Cannery was the first fish cannery built in British Columbia. It was established in June 1870 by Alexander Loggie & Co and founded by Alexander Ewen, James Wise, Alexander Loggie and David Hennessey.
In the first season, 30,000 one-pound cans of salmon were exported to England. Alexander Ewen also processed lower quality fish in a saltery on the site. Operations continued into the 1940s. Today a commemorative sign marks the site where the cannery once stood.
Annieville Cannery and River Road, 1905. Image 2008-005-001 courtesy of Delta Heritage Society.
Cleaning fish at Annieville Cannery, 1905. Image
1980-052-173 courtesy of Delta Heritage Society.
The Glenrose Cannery: active from 1896 to the c.1980s.
The Glenrose Cannery was built in 1896 by the Fraser River Industrial Society which was cooperatively owned by fishermen until 1901. The facility was reopened by BC Packers Association in 1909 as the Glenrose Cannery.
The cannery was originally constructed on an archaeological site that documented one of the earliest human habitations in the Lower Mainland. The buildings were demolished in 2011 to make way for the South Fraser Perimeter Road (Highway 17).
Glenrose Cannery from the water with fishing boats tied up at the dock. Image 1983-059-11 courtesy of Delta Heritage Society.
Glenrose Cannery from the water. Image CR-21 1990_024/com11/04 courtesy of Delta Heritage Society.
The St. Mungo Cannery: active from 1899 to 1921 and from 1931 to 1957.
Built in 1899 by the St. Mungo Fish Packing Co., the plant operated near Sunbury in North Delta until 1921. It opened again in 1931 and was operated by Sunbury Packers Ltd. It was subsequently purchased by Nelson Brothers Fisheries Ltd. in 1933. The St. Mungo Cannery produced half- and one-pound, sockeye ovals packed under contract for an English buyer. After 1957 the site was used for net storage.
An illustration of the St. Mungo Cannery that hangs
inside Trinity Lutheran Church, River Road, North Delta.
Nelson Brothers Fisheries label, Image courtesy of Canadian Trademark Database, 0205189